Part of me can’t believe what happened in the recent Presidential election, and part of me isn’t surprised. Regardless of who you voted for, there are reasons to be relieved, happy, and grateful – and/or disappointed, fearful, and sad. If you were hoping to see the first female President of the United States, like me, then those latter emotions are probably coming much easier to you right now, while it’s harder to access the first set. But I think that this election presents us all with an amazing opportunity for growth, both individually and collectively.
My main focus right now is to recognize that while I could easily surround myself with news that brings up feelings of disappointment, sadness, and fear – those emotions aren’t doing me any good. Plus it feels horrible! Paralyzing, a pit in my stomach, jittery. That is not how I can give my best to the world, and I believe the world needs our best, now more than ever. So I am allowing myself to let those thoughts go as much as I can, and rally as many things that make me feel relieved, happy, and grateful to my side. And the more I look for it, the more I see:
- So many posts on my Facebook feed about love!!
- My friend Kate, who gathered us together the day after the election to light candles, share our intentions for moving forward, and bask in community
- My coaching client, who shared with me and his family and friends that “the sun will continue to rise, the world will still spin, and we will still sing and dance and laugh”
- People wearing safety pins to symbolize a safe space for anyone – anyone! – experiencing discrimination of any kind
- The coaching consults I’ve given to several people since the election – I don’t know how they voted and it doesn’t matter – but they’re open to new ideas, motivation, and trying something different
- My coaching clients, all of them, who are stretching to be and do more than they ever thought possible and who inspire me every day
- My colleagues at Sac State, who are always doing the best they can to help others grow and develop professionally, while at the same time creating a wonderful work atmosphere that feeds us all
- My fellow guides and office staff at Exum Mountain Guides, who provide people with the literal, physical opportunity to accomplish feats they never thought they could
- My dog Tucker, who loves me just as much today as he did yesterday, and will continue to love me just as much tomorrow
- My best friend, Suna – we were together almost as long as Obama was in office, and even now as we move away from being life partners we are communicating better than ever and supporting each other as much as we always have – and still dancing!
When I let myself focus on these things, I feel calmer, more peaceful, and empowered. I feel more able to listen and hear the pain and frustration that so many people expressed through their votes for the President-elect. I feel ready to be more, and do more, and share more – more of me, more of my gifts. Now is the time to do what we’re meant to do. And that’s different for all of us. For me, my gift is listening, and holding space for others to step into what is possible for them. So I’ve decided that between now and the inauguration on January 20, 2017, in recognition of the opportunities for growth and reflection that our 45th president will provide, I want to give 45 free “Make a Leap” strategy sessions. My hope is that by inspiring others to make a leap in their lives – whether that leap is big or small, about relationships or career, or even just about taking that first step – I’ll help to create positive energy that will ripple out even further than my immediate circle. Will you help me make this possible? I don’t care who you voted for (or if you did), and it doesn’t matter whether we’ve known each other for years, or never even met. I just want to share my gifts, and if that helps you or anyone else make a leap, that’s all the better! I hope you’ll help me meet this goal – just call (307-264-0764) or email me (Kim@CoachingHeights.com) or use the contact form – and if someone else comes to mind for you, I hope you’ll share this post with them. The sessions will be over the phone, so no matter where you are, we can connect. And please make sure you keep noticing all the good in the world, because it’s just as real as anything else!